26 October 2006

Stolen Email

Now that I'm "staff" with the LPO School District, I get the "global" emails that go out to everyone. This one came from our new Superintendent, and I thought it was great writing so am re-posting it here. I sent him an email to let him know... but even though that email went out to something like 500 people, it's probably not kosher to do it. Still... I'm doing it. I'll take it off if he objects, but I'm betting he won't. In the meantime, enjoy.

I grew up in the city. I walked or rode my bike to school every day until I could drive to high school. It was a pretty simple plan. The only time I rode a school bus was when I went on a field trip and that did not happen very often. When it did, I really enjoyed that bus ride; big green seats, windows, and a noise level that was a kid’s idea of mayhem. In short, I loved the experience.

Many of our students ride the yellow bus to school as a day to day way of life. The friendly drivers are the first people they see who represent the school district. Each morning sleepy eyed students clamber on to warm buses for a journey that they will remember forever……I can’t tell you how many times I have heard ”Remember when Johnny did (you name it) on the bus?” U-Haul claims to be the” Adventure in Moving”. I am convinced transporting students to school is the real adventure in moving.

This week was School Bus Safety Week. Students practiced emergency exit drills, safe riding procedures, etc. It is important to be prepared However, for all of us, it is also a time to thank our drivers for the good work they do every day as they transport their precious cargo. I don’t know about you, but at aged 55, I am pretty tired of driving. Maybe if I sported around in a fancy car or a Vespa, it might be different. Yet, every morning I see drivers with smiles on their faces greeting students and making sure they safely arrive at school. I would be curious to know how many miles these folks have put in behind the wheel. Amazingly, they are still smiling.

I also like to sleep. That too may be a factor of age. How is it that these good people can get up before dawn to drive a huge machine down the road? How about driving that beast on snow or ice with young kids on board who might be singing, laughing, or doing what kids do? I know when my dad was behind the wheel of the 1959 Ford Fairlane, we had to take the oath of silence…even when there wasn’t snow. One word or giggle when he was driving a snowy road led to banishment to the basement of the house. It was serious business because we never knew what evil lurked in the basement. Only my mother could intervene at that point.

So, next time you see one of our drivers, doff your cap, salute, bow, or offer them a simple thank you for a great job. They are the first step in a successful day for many of our children. We appreciate all that they do. Enjoy your weekend.

Dick

No comments: